Saturday, January 16, 2010

A Military Miracle for Orphans in Haiti


Stay tuned for the video BELOW:)

My cousin Brittany made this video after the earthquake in Haiti occured. Her dad, Marc Platt is in the Navy and he had to go over to Haiti in 1995. Here is a little story that I got off an email from a friend in Kanosh.. " Can you remember when Marc Platt was stationed in Haiti in 1995? He sent word that an orphanage over in the mountains of Haiti didn't have any blankets, clothes, or even shoes and wanted to know if we all could help. He said it got very cold there in the mountains and the children didn't have only a little sheet to cover them at night. I was the Stake Relief Society President at the time and we decided to ask all the wards to help in this great service project. We called it "Operation Cover-up" and we ask each Relief Society Ward in the stake to get together with their sisters and try and provide some of these needed items. Well, we never dreamed it would snowball into such a great project. We had a deadline day when every ward was to bring their items to the National Guard Armory in Fillmore. I will never forget the great miracle! Trucks from the wards just kept coming full of items that had been donated by good sisters in the Fillmore Stake. The whole armory was full of clothes, coats, shoes, and quilts! It was so much bigger than we had planned on. Everyone worked and we boxed up all these items and they were put on a plane and sent to Mark Platte over in Haiti. It was one of those great experiences that I tuck away inside my heart hoping to always remember the wonderful feelings I had felt as I knew we had helped these children in a far away land find a little happiness. Marc Platte's daughter made a video clip of this and sent it at Christmas time. When I heard of the terrible earth quake in Haiti, I kept thinking of this special little orphanage where we had sent these boxes. Then Suzette sent me this video and I wanted to share it with all of you because I know you can all remember how hard we all worked to help these children. This is what the gospel is all about. Aren't we happy that we helped these special children when the call came to serve? How many times do we think we are to busy to help others? I am so thankful to all the dear people in the Fillmore Utah Stake that took the time, money, and effort to help these precious children of our Heavenly Father. I hope and pray that this will be a lesson we will all remember.
I do remember when my uncle Marc was over there but I barely remember the service project ( probably cause I was young and didn't really care about that stuff).. whoops. PEOPLE THIS VIDEO WILL CHANGE YOUR LIVES. I'M SO GLAD SHE SENT THIS VIDEO TO ME. WHENEVER I'M THINKIN I HAVE IT ROUGH AND I NEED A PICK ME UP I WILL ALWAYS REFER BACK TO THIS MOVIE. YOU WILL CRY YOUR LITTLE EYES SO SO BEFORE YOU PRESS PLAY GO AHEAD AND GRAB YA A TISSUE.. ENJOY!!

1 comment:

Jense Family said...

Thanks for sharing. I have not seen this, but I so remember being a part of that great service project:)

FaMiLiEs ArE FoReVeR*

..."I believe in the family where there
is a husband who regards his
companion as his greatest asset and
treats her accordingly;
where there is a wife who looks upon
her husband as her anchor and strength.
The cultivation of such a home
requires effort and energy,
forgiveness and patience,
Love,
and, endurance, and sacrifice;
but it is worth all of these and more."....

.. Gordan B. Hinckley